Sunday, 26 August 2007

Aberdeen VS Hibs

well, whr and who is Hibs? i dunno. we went 2 a stadium in Edinburgh 2 work in their bar where there was a football match btwn Aberdeen and Hibs. But it wasn’t our concern cause when we entered the stadium, it was empty, and the moment we finished our work and stepped out of the stadium, it was still empty. We didn’t get the chance to see the audiences, players and even to feel the atmosphere.

Today was really a new experience. Each of us was responsible for a till. We were supposed 2 take order, gt d food and then collect the money from the customer. At the very beginning, one of the experienced workers thr actly told me wrongly bout the place of the scotch pie and steak pie put. So, I actly gave lotsa customer wrong pie!! I gav minced pie whn they were actly buying steak pie, it really matters cause the prices were different, steak pie is more expensive. Haha!! Really sorry for those ppl who I had charged more money. I realized it only when one of the customers pointed it out. After that then I finally gave the right pie. The customers were okay, at least they didn’t complain or gt impatient whn I hav 2 ask them their orders again. Can still hardly understand their accent le... This makes me feel like working more cause I want to hav more chances to communicate with them and gt used to their slang. Oh ya!! I realized they like Bovril drink very much. Can’t imagine how would it tasted like…eeuuu….

No probs with the customers but I was working under the environment where I didn’t know wat my other colleagues were talking about. All I could hear was basically, kili kulu…bla bla..bla…can’t understand at all la. But I know sometimes they might be conversing in their own Scottish…..‘dialect’?!! haha!! But when they were speaking English, I still hav 2 listen really carefully only then I got it. I realized it’s d same case for them either. Haha!!! They can only understand what we are trying to say whn they listen carefully. It’s still English, but different slang. These can b a prob as well, sometimes.

The moment I saw my supervisor for 2day, ‘eh…not bad wo, quite good looking.’…mana tau, he’s bad la. I can feel that he’s very impatient and gt irritated. He showed unhappy face and I know, he was angry, but he tahan not to scold it out, cos he couldn’t scold mah…kns…it wasn’t my fault tht the coke dispensing machine kept on dripping and wetted the whole place, including my sheet of paper for recording money. Apa lah….hai yo!!! Nvm…thr will always b this kind of ppl whn we r working.

However, I still find this job quite enjoyable cause I gt to learn new things, see their culture and communicate more with the locals.

Hmm…hav some thoughts after working...i wonder if these ang mo see us as how we c the Cambodians and Indonesians tht come 2 work in our country. I think no matter how, thr will still be some bias in them and think that they are more superior than we do…js like how we c those foreign workers in m’sia huh?! Anyway, good la, this can be a reminder 2 myself as not 2 b racist and must treat the others fairly.

2 comments:

Darren said...

Hibs = hibernian edinburgh football club

Not really the best club in scotland... Glasgow rangers and Celtic FC are the famous 1..

PS: Spelt as Aberdeen and not Abedeen.. =]

Darren said...

People just say hibs cause its easier to say rather than hibernian...